Wine Dinner Blog Report #1: Valentines Day Special

Wine Dinner Blog Report #1: Valentines Day Special

February 19, 2023

By: Lucy Becker


    Who needs a man, when you have your gal pals! This Valentine's Day, my girl group and I hosted an Anti-Valentine's Day Party while watching the weekly Bachelor episode. We meet every week for each weeks new episode and this week was obviously Valentine's Day themed. Everyone who came brought a food and a drink, and lucky us, they were all color coordinated. Because we are broke college girls, please excuse the cheaper options and snacks we had!
    The 'love potions' or wine that we had was Yosemite White Moscato, Sutter Homes Pink Moscato, and a box of Franzia Fruity Red Sangria. Food included popcorn, old bay seasoned kettle cooked potato chips, sugar cookies (soft and hard), fudge brownies, chocolate chip cookies, cupcakes, powdered doughnuts, watermelon, and numerous amounts of candy, and my personal favorite, buffalo cauliflower bites. 
    Unfortunately, I try to keep a gluten-free diet, so I was restricted on what I could eat from the gorgeous display of food. For this blog I will be focusing on the following food and wine pairings:
  • White Moscato 
  • Pink Moscato
  • Red Sangria
  • Buffalo Cauliflower Bites
  • Brownies
  • Old Bay Seasoned Kettle Cooked Potato Chips

    What went with what? To me, I think the foods that paired best with both the white and pink moscato was the buffalo cauliflower bites and the old bay seasoned kettle cooked potato chips. I really enjoy both moscato and spicy food in general, so eating both with the wine was like a party in my mouth. I tried different approaches, meaning, I ate the bites first, and then took a sip of wine, and vice versa. I felt that I got the best reaction when my tastebuds were on fire with both the chips and bites first, and then being soothed (maybe even canceled out?) with the sweetness of the moscatos. I believe the spicy and sweet tastes complimented each other. Not that the sangria wasn't terrible with both my 'snack' and 'meal', it didn't give me the same experience as the two moscatos did for me.

    With that being said, the sangria and fudgy brownies were...*chef's kiss*...delicious. The friend who brought the sangria and brownies said that it was her go to guilty pleasure when she needs a pick me up. And boy oh boy do I agree. The sangria we had was a bit on the tart side, as opposed to the fruity and sweetness that is most common - maybe the box was not stored properly - but that evened out with the richness and chocolate in the brownies. 

    If you ever need a sign to throw an Anti-Valentines Day party with your friends, THIS IS IT! Have your friends bring a dish and a wine of their choosing and get to drinking (and eating I guess too, haha). Love is in the air with some drinks that make you feel some type of way! 

With love and wine,

Lucy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine Tasting: Soupcon de Fruit

Wine and Dinner Blog #3

Wine Tasting: Peach Fruitscato