Wine Tasting: Josh Wine

Wine Tasting: Josh
April 2, 2023
By: Lucy Becker

It is time to sip back and relax. After a long day at work, I decided to sit down and drink some wine and figured I would blog about it. What wine? Josh! I know, it is an interesting name of wine. As previously mentioned and pointed out in Professor Boyers lecture video about labeling of wine, Josh is written fully across it, this brand stands out.

Fun fact! My mother's favorite wine is actually and Josh related. Not sure why, maybe it is because the marketing of the label and bottle that stands out and is visually appealing. Or...maybe it is very delicious in her taste. 



Josh Wine is harvested and produced by Josh Cellars in Hopland, California in the United States of America. It is blended and bottled by Joseph Carr who created his wines in honor of his father, Josh, hence the big cursive font on the front label. 

The bottle I bought was 2020 vintage year and costed about $11 at the local grocery store. 

This specific bottle is Cabernet Sauvignon, which is actually the first wine they made at Josh Cellars. This bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon has flavors of blackberry, toasted hazelnut, and cinnamon produced in 2020. 

  • According to the Grapes and Wine section of the Wine Folly book, there are many oak and black fruit tasting notes to reference when drinking Cabernet Sauvignon. 
  • The wine was left in room temperature, and was served in an oversized glass. The glass helped decant the wine when poured and slowly while drinking - as I have not bought a decanter.
  • According to page 288 in Wine Folly, California is most famous for their Cabernets' as they offer black fruit flavors that unravel into layers of cedar and tobacco laced tannins. 
Self Review: As mentioned before, my mom loves Josh wine. Therefore, this was not the first time I have drank it. I actually called my mom for her opinion on what wine to buy. I am not the biggest red wine drinker or fan, but I do enjoy myself a glass of Josh Cabernet Sauvignon. I thought the flavor and original sip was very bold and full bodied. I tasted some notes of spice and vanilla. I also drank it with my steak and chicken rib dinner, so perhaps my meal also helped bring out the stronger flavors. 

Overall, I would highly recommend this wine to others. I would rate it a 8/10 - which may be a bit biased as I really enjoy sweeter and wine wines more than a red. Very much impressed by Cabernet Sauvignon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Wine Tasting: Soupcon de Fruit

Wine and Dinner Blog #3

Wine Tasting: Peach Fruitscato